On a HOT May afternoon, I got in my Suburban and drove the familiar route to pick up Cooper. Just an ordinary day, like many others, except for one thing...it was the last time I would drive to Sissy's to pick up one of my children. I have made this drive each afternoon since 2004 and suddenly, it was over. Claudia ran ahead to the playground, as she always does, because she loves to go in and play with the little ones. They never forget how much fun they had at Sissy's! I took a moment to walk into the house and take it all in. Sissy's is not a new facility, she has her daycare in an old house that once belonged to her aunt. It is right beside her parents so the kids all get to know and LOVE PawPaw Pete and Mrs. Bonnie. They get exposed to raising chickens, planting gardens, and many other things that most of us who live in the city limits do not do at home. The inside of Sissy's is worn from lots of love from kids throughout the years. All of the children, including Claudia and Cooper, have found love, friendship, security, excitement, education, and FUN within these small rooms. I walked through every room, include the bathroom, and tried to imagine my babies at each age in those rooms. I soaked it all in and tried to tuck it away in my heart so I will never forget this time in their lives. I could hear them on the playground and I was so thankful for all the happiness and joy my Claudia and Cooper found here. I took pictures of a few details so I can remember and so they will never forget this important time in their lives.
It is so impossible to believe that I will not sign a child out on this pad each afternoon.
This is the main room where they do everything. The great thing about Sissy's is she believes in letting children play and having them outside. If the weather is cooperative, most of their days have been spent outside playing and learning.
This is Cooper's cubby. I'm not sure if it is the same cubby he has had the whole time he has been there but it is the one he has used for the last two years.

My Claudia loved going to Sissy's and she has said many times how much she misses it. I am so thankful she and Cooper have such precious memories from those early years.
My Claudia loved going to Sissy's and she has said many times how much she misses it. I am so thankful she and Cooper have such precious memories from those early years.
Sissy has loved on my children when I could not be with them to do it myself. She has taken care of their needs and taught them so many things. I will be forever thankful that God allowed my children to be with her before they began school.
She is a little big for this ride now but she still loves it. This was always one of Claudia's favorite toys to play on when she was there.
One last time of playing with Sissy friends.
My pictures got out of order. This is the kitchen where Sissy has nourished my children twice a day for many years. This is where they learned how to make a "Happy Plate". This is where she can get Cooper to eat things he will never try for me. This is a very special kitchen that I will always remember and my children will as well.
Before we left, Cooper wanted to show me the eggs they have been carefully watching.
My sweet boy has grown up here, as did my sweet girl. I dropped him off for the first time when he was only 18 months old and he cried for about a week before he got used to it. Claudia took about two weeks when she started going at 22 months old. It ripped my heart out when they cried but sure enough, it wasn't long before they were passionate about going to Sissy's. And now, here we are on the last day and he has changed so much. I dropped off a baby and I am taking home a big boy.
This was Reece's first year at Sissy's. Her brother, Cason, will start K with Cooper. She was the only girl out of 5 kids. He LOVES her and always takes care of her. He has often stated how much he will miss Reece when he goes to school.

So that's it, the last day of Sissy's. I wasn't emotional like I always thought I'd be, although I have been quite emotional trying to write this post!
So that's it, the last day of Sissy's. I wasn't emotional like I always thought I'd be, although I have been quite emotional trying to write this post!
Reaching milestones in their lives is always bittersweet. I am excited for them to reach a new phase, learn something new, experience new adventures, but I know each milestone brings them one step closer to becoming adults and not being with us everyday. One thing about Chad and myself is that we had our children to be with us. We have never been crazy about them being with others, not even grandparents, for very long. We enjoy them and we love spending time with them. We want them with us at home and when we go places. They bring us so much joy. The thought of them not being with us is so sad to me, yet I know God will give us the grace we need to experience that time when we need it. He always does. For now, I am counting on a whole lot of GRACE to get Cooper and his mommy through the beginning of Kindergarten!
Farewell Sissy's, we will never forget the impact you have had on our family.
We will treasure these memories in our hearts forever!
No comments:
Post a Comment