I'm not really a words master but I am pretty good at written expression. I chalk it up to a TON of essay writing in high school from an amazing English teacher. Every single year after Claudia finished a grade at KES, I wrote her teacher a letter expressing my emotions over the farewell and my appreciation for the devotion she poured into Claudia the prior 10 months. It usually took me several attempts to complete each letter because I'd always end up bawling like a baby and have to put it down for a while. I guess being a teacher gives me an insight most parents do not have because I know first hand just how hard it is sometimes to walk into that school and put aside everything personal going on in your life and for 8 hours be amazing and change lives. It is not for wimps and it is not for the weak of mind, spirit, or heart. It is not always pretty, it is often just plain gross and every single day, it is totally worth it when you know you have helped a child change their future by learning another sound, a new word, finally "getting" that math concept. In May I wrapped up my 17th year in the classroom. In those 17 years, I have watched our profession, which used to be so appreciated, become consistently attacked and blamed for social issues, behavioral issues, and many other "issues" our kids deal with. Not the entire lot, but in part, many parents do not support their child's teacher in any way. Whatever the issue, it is often considered the teacher's fault. Many parents do not want to accept that their children are not perfect and actually would do whatever the teacher has said they have done. I know this as a teacher and a mother...they are all precious and loved by God the SAME;, they are all inventive and amazing creations; they are all the best their parents have to send to us each day; AND they are ALL imperfect by way of creation with a sinful nature they will yield to, no matter who they are or who they belong to. Teachers have a lot to deal with outside of the classroom, making what they do inside the classroom, even more amazing to me.
So May rolls around and I live through Kindergarten graduation and the 3rd Grade Tea, all in the same day. I write the letters but nothing seems like enough. I just can't accept that I have adequately said "thank you" to the ladies at KES who truly changed Claudia's life. Claudia, who has adored every single one of them, was very excited when I told her I wanted us to have an appreciation luncheon for all of her KES teachers before she started HMS. I meant to do it shortly after school got out but allowed procrastination to take hold and I ended up getting it in just before school began. So, on July 30th, we invited 4 special teachers and 1 amazing principal to join us for a luncheon in their honor.
We had a great time. Claudia was so much help. She did everything I would ask and would come back to see what was next. I was very proud of her for not just leaving it all to me. A prime example of giving kids something to do that they love and can get excited about and they will shine. We tried to pay attention to every detail because we wanted every detail to express how precious they are to us. The time Claudia spent with each of them truly changed her life. They changed her future and gave her the precious gift of knowledge. They put aside their personal "baggage" everyday and created MAGIC within their 4 walls at KES and changed her life. That may sound dramatic but it is absolutely right on target, the exact way to describe what they did for our girl.
For a time when words were not enough...
Claudia's Teacher Appreciation Luncheon
To mark their places, a special note for each one...
Claudia waited anxiously by the window to see who would arrive first...
Our menu was taco salad and strawberry/blueberry pudding, made by Claudia.
My intention was to take a ton of pictures as they talked and enjoyed each other but I was having so much fun enjoying them, I totally forgot until we were finishing dessert.
Just before they left, I got a picture of her with each one...
The legacy of teachers that changed her forever...
Mrs. Head, 3rd Grade
Dr. Hendon, Principal
Mrs. Motley, 2nd Grade
Mrs. Bailey, 1st Grade
Certainly not least, the one who set the bar so very high for all those to follow...
Mrs. Smith, Kindergarten
For what these ladies invested in our girl, we will be eternally grateful. I sincerely hope as they passed through our door headed home, they each left feeling appreciated and special because they are more than words or any luncheon could express.
No comments:
Post a Comment