September 9, 2012

Our 2012 trip to paradise...

We went to the beach during Spring Break for a very short trip because we thought we would not be able to go during the summer. However, when Alabama changed the start date of school to be mandatory state wide to August 20th, we suddenly had an opportunity to visit our favorite place...DESTIN.

We were so blessed to be able to stay from Sunday to Sunday and wrap up our summer in paradise. The day after we got home, it was back to work for me but it was not as hard coming off a 7 day trip with my family. We left early on Sunday morning and got there in time for lunch at Pompano Joe's. Right after lunch, we unloaded and hit the beach. 

I have to add that this is a long post because I am including all of our days in one post BUT I took less pictures on this trip than ever before simply because I decided on this trip to BE PRESENT and enjoy my family. I did a few things to make that happen that are out of character for me...I often left the camera behind so many of the pics I do have are courtesy of Chad's iPhone; I left my laptop in the bag the entire tirp; and finally, I usually left my phone sitting in the condo. Yes, I have less pictures but I can honestly say it was the most wonderful trip and I felt like I let them be top priority the entire time. It was the first trip we've ever had where we had bad weather everyday. Our beach time was limited because we had to go out around the storms but even with the bad weather, we had a wonderful trip. We did all the things we love. We went to the beach when we could, enjoyed our favorite restaurants, bought school clothes, went to the movies, made many trips to TCBY, and just reveled in the time together.

From out table at lunch, the view was perfect...


Claudia was sporty and ready...



And this one is such a character...

My sweetheart who treats me like royalty. I do not deserve this man but I am so thankful for him!


Our beach set up...
Can I get a big WAR EAGLE!
Connie started it all by giving me this awesome utility tote for my birthday, which we would celebrate at the end of our trip. We bought the chairs in Auburn and  just before heading to the condo, Chad found the umbrella at the grocery store. We were set and ready!


On our 2nd day, the sky looked luminous and it was pretty clear that we were not heading to the beach...


These were taken pretty early, just after I got up and headed out to enjoy my coffee but the storm was already brewing. During this trip, we witnessed some amazing light shows put on by the Creator as He lit up the sky with lightening over the ocean. It was really beautiful and amazing to watch.



The kids were anxious to make their traditional Build a Bear anyway so we just got dressed and hit the town, umbrellas in tow.




By the time we had a late lunch, the weather was beginning to clear up. We ate outside on the back porch at The Back Porch. YUM!



Showing off his snaggle tooth self...





I am not sure which day this is but on another stormy day, we headed to Seagrove for lunch to try a place our friends rave about. A few pics before we left.





My baby girl doesn't look like a baby anymore...















On our way, there was a pretty bad wreck just behind us, literally. We were stopped at a light and there was a truck behind us, followed by a small SUV, followed by a car. The girl in the car looked down and when she looked up, she was unable to get stopped. She must have been pretty far behind us because we had been stopped for a few min and the light was about to change. She hit the SUV which slid into the truck but God protected us (Praise HIM) and the truck slid but did not make impact with our van. We got out to help and the poor girl driving the car was so upset and pitiful. Everyone was ok except I was pretty sure her arm was broken. We left when the paramedics and police arrived after they said they didn't need us and the EMTs were taking care of her. I prayed with her before we left her and I can only hope that if she didn't know Jesus then that wreck allowed  a seed to be planted in her heart as I prayed with her. We were shaken up and very thankful for God's provision of safety for us and all those behind us.


In Seagrove, we went to the Red Bar for lunch.



I walked out back to see the beach and took a few pics...



We drove through Seaside on our way back. We've never stayed in Seaside but I'd really love to. I really want to do a photo shoot of our family around some of the sites in Seaside. Today wasn't the day because traffic was awful, thanks to the weather, and we were just ready to head back.



We had dry weather again once we returned so we hit the beach.
























Cooper met a group of boys using these body skimmers and they let him try it out. We ended up coming home with two of these. They enjoyed them as much as possible but I think they really will on our next trip.


This is where we stay almost every time we go to Destin...







All of the boys with skim boards decided to have a competition and Cooper was their judge...




Another morning promising stormy weather...




Every morning I got up early so I could have some time alone with the Lord. I needed to invest some time in our relationship and I needed to hear from Him. There is just no better place to sit and listen for His voice than in the presence of His majestical creation.  So this was my set up every morning, and it was so good. When we came home and I went back to work I really longed for those quiet mornings. I still have my quiet mornings before the house begins to stir but sitting in my recliner is not quite the same as sitting here...


During our week, there were two days that we had no rain. On Wednesday we went to Big Kahuna's water park and other than them sitting us out for about an hour as a precaution, we were able to enjoy the entire day in the sun playing with our babies. We all had a blast. We were there basically from open to close and we were exhausted. We just took clothes to change and went straight to Dewey Destins to eat dinner. Besides the amazing food, the atmosphere at DD is so rustic and relaxed that going after the water park is no big deal. We actually ended up going there twice on this trip.




This was certainly worth eating twice...


The night before our last day, we ordered dinner and Chad took the kids with him to go pick it up. When they got back, they had a birthday cake from TCBY for me! We had cake and they gave me sweet presents. Claudia gave me a Vera Bradley messenger bag for school and Cooper gave me the matching Bible cover. I had used birthday money to buy a new bag at Coach and Chad surprised me with the matching wallet and checkbook cover. They spoiled me so much! I was so thankful for each gift and felt so blessed by my sweet family.


Our last day...
My 39th birthday...
No other place I'd rather spend my birthday...
No other people in the world I'd rather spend it with...
I hoped for a good day where the kids could really enjoy the beach and God delivered...
He started with a beautiful peaceful sunrise...



We went to the pool for a while and then the beach. Claudia had played with this sweet girl for several days off and on and they spent the entire day playing.


We met this guy, Zack, at the pool and then saw he and his mom again at the beach. He was just out of high school and he was so kind to the kids. He played with them all day. He reminded me so much of our Connor because he was so patient and sweet with them. He didn't seem like there was anything else he'd rather be doing. He even went up to the hot tub with us when we left. Cooper was heart broken to leave him that evening.

They buried Cooper...


To celebrate my last year in my 30's, Chad took us to Louisiana Lagniappe, one of the best places to eat in Destin. We haven't been there in a few years and it was so good. We sat outside on the deck and the scenery was just beautiful. My sweet boys...







My sweet girl...



Even though we had been there an entire week, none of us were ready to leave. It made me so sad when Claudia went out and propped on the rail to look at the ocean. I just wished so badly we could stay longer and give them  more days to play. I hated giving up those lazy days of just spending time together. Our life is blessed in so many ways and I am very thankful for the day to day God has given us but my very favorite times are when the four of us escape together. I know those days are fleeting and I want to freeze time. She has grown up so much. He is not a baby anymore. They are changing so quickly and I know that I will grieve for these days when they are gone.



It was a beautiful day which made it even harder to leave...


Cooper cried as we crossed the mid-bay bridge and I fought it myself. I pray God will give us another escape very soon.


Claudia and Chad bought boiled peanuts in Florala and she was happily snacking and watching a movie.


We stopped for lunch in Montgomery and did a little shopping. Cooper had to hang out with this little guy.


What a great trip! I'm thankful for every minute. It was such a blessing to be together. Even sad to leave, it is still always good to be home because  we are so thankful for the home God has given us.

No comments: