June 1, 2010

Farewell First Grade

Today is the first official day of Summer Vacation for us and it is DREAMY! Since Monday was a holiday, I consider this our first day off! We have officially said farewell to first grade and all the joy it brought us. Claudia had an amazing year in 1st grade. I will be forever thankful to the adults who made that happen for her. Teaching a child is not a responsibility to be taken lightly. We are changing their lives and helping mold the adults they will become. I'm thankful that Claudia is surrounded by adults who take this very seriously!

This picture is taken late and the topic is posted late...but the last "of the day" she earned doing AR was "Principal of the Day". She had so much fun hanging out with Dr. Hendon. I had forgotten my camera and I wrote a note on my board to remind me. I erased around that note forever and finally snapped the picture on the very last day!


Claudia and Mrs. Bailey on the last day. We have loved having her for our teacher. She has loved and protected and cared for our Claudia with such tender kindness. She has taught her well and gotten her well prepared for 2nd grade. I will treasure the memories of 1st grade with Mrs. Bailey and I will never forget what she has done for our Claudia.

A classroom is a special place. Maybe I say that because I have always loved school. Maybe I say it because I get to experience the amazing things that happen when the parents go home, the door is closed, and we get down to business. I wanted to take some pictures of Claudia's first grade classroom so she would always remember. Oh what I would give for pictures of the classrooms I sat in day after day...
This is the spot where Claudia sat and took over 400 AR test this year. She ended the year with 200 AR points. Each book is only work .5 points so it took at least 400 test to get 200 points! That's a lot of reading and a lot of sitting in this spot!
The teaching table. This is where the MAGIC happens. I mean that literally! Watching a child become a reader is a magical experience. We teach our reading in leveled groups and work stations. The teaching table is the big HOORAH of our reading program. God has blessed Claudia with a love and desire for reading. I am so thankful for her ability to read and for her desire to read.

This is the table where our Claudia sat each day. Hayden sat beside her all year. I pray that Hayden and Claudia will be in the same room again next year. I cannot imagine him not being in Claudia's class.

Claudia's hook for her bookbag...
I'm such a sentimental silly thing...
but I want to remember it ALL!

Even though I was so excited about summer vacation and the last day, when it was time to say goodbye to Mrs. Bailey, I was overcome with emotion and broke down in tears. Yes, I will see her everyday next year. I was sad because this amazing year for Claudia has come to a year and THAT was hard to swallow. God has really blessed us in K and 1st grade with the perfect teacher for Claudia. She has meshed perfectly with both of them and it has changed her life. I am certain that God will come through again and give her exactly the teacher she needs for 2nd grade. I am also certain that I will be equally emotional on this day next year. For now, I'm still enjoying the sweet memories of the best first grade year ever!

No comments: