April 3, 2012

His Passion

If ever there were a weekend where I truly knew I had been in God's presence, this past weekend was such a time as that. Claudia and I attended a "Mom and Me" conference on Saturday where God really spoke to my heart in many ways. Some good, some I would have rather not heard, but all were exactly what I needed to hear. God's correction is not always easy to accept but His way is always right. On Sunday evening, Claudia participated in the drama portion of our adult choir Easter cantata. To say it was wonderful is an understatement. I took my camera on Sunday night and on Monday night I just watched. We had a big crowd both nights and I pray anyone who didn't know Jesus when they came had met Him before they left. The entire group did an amazing job of portraying the life, death, and resurrection of our Savior. Through song and drama, they illustrated the saving power of Jesus Christ.



The choir sang a medley that began with Silent Night because the night the King of Kings was born, it was truly a Holy Night.



Soon He was all grown up and arriving in Jerusalem for the Passover meal with His disciples.The children (Claudia in gold) went out to meet him with Palm trees cheering "Hosanna"!



They sang and danced around Jesus, just as the town's people did all those years ago. They praised Him and celebrated who He was. Sadly, those same town's people would soon be the very people crying "Crucify Him!"



In the upper room, Jesus shared His final meal with the disciples who had traveled with Him. He served them, teaching that those who wish to be first, must become last and illustrating His desire that we all have a servants heart, just as He does.


Very soon, He would be harshly and undeservedly beaten and tortured for sins He did not commit. He would suffer physically, emotionally, and spiritually as He experienced separation from His father for the first time because He willingly took on the sins of the world. My sins put Him there. He took them with a servant's heart, obedient to doing His father's will, even to the point of death. He bore the cross that should be my own to Calvary where He suffered, bled, and died so that I, a very undeserving soul, could  have my sins justified and FORGIVEN.


Laying down His life for each of us, He was nailed to a cross as He was ridiculed and sat upon as He endured the punishment that should be my own.


Often we wonder how much we are loved. Often we wonder what is our worth. On that day, Jesus demonstrated our worth to Him and His love for us when He stretched out His arms and with His blood shared, "I Love You This Much."


His face writhed in anguish and torment. The weight of my sins was so heavy for Him to bear in His Holiness. His father turned away because He cannot tolerate sin. He gave up His spirit, it was not taken from Him. He gave it up for me. Just for me and just for every single person in the world. He gave it up so that death is not the end for me, or anyone who accepts Him, but is in fact the beginning. He gave it up so that I can live in eternity with Him, though He knew I didn't deserve it then and I don't deserve it now. He loved me enough anyway. His love is a love I cannot truly fathom or grasp.



I am thankful His story, and my story, does not end there on that blood stained cross so rugged in its appearance, so ordinary to some, yet so Holy to me. His payment began there, where He said, "Yes, I love Lyn enough to die for all of her sins." That horribly Friday was dark and mournful but as the saying goes, hang on, because Sunday is coming!



Mary Magdalene was heart broken to discover Jesus' tomb was empty when she and the other Mary went. Soon they would hear the news from Heaven's angels that they are looking in the wrong place. Why were they looking for the living among the dead? They were looking there because they knew no different. Until that glorious Sunday morning, Resurrection Sunday, death was all they had known. Now, because of Jesus' sacrifice, they could know
LIFE EVERLASTING because HE IS ALIVE!


Just as He had said He would do, Jesus AROSE triumphantly claiming victory over sin and death. He had the nail scarred hands to prove that He was and STILL IS exactly who God's word declares. He is the RISEN son of God and He is STILL ALIVE today offering His blood as a sacrifice for all who will believe.



As all the angels rejoiced in Heaven, so must we rejoice this Easter that Jesus Christ is alive today and He sits at the right hand of His Father's throne.



Someday we will all stand before Him as He reads the Book of Life and we will face His judgement. I am so thankful that my name is written in the Book of Life and all who believe in Him will also rejoice to find their name there as well.

With desperation, on that day, many will stand before Him and realize that their name is not there. They will hear the King of Kings say, "Depart from me, I never knew you." They will be cast into a lake of fire for all of eternity. They will try to justify their lives and the sin they bowed to but the only justification for sin is the blood of Jesus that we must accept and receive as forgiveness. One day, it will be too late. One day, the last chance will have been given and Jesus will return, just as He has said He would. Just as He proved He would return from death, He will one day prove to everyone who doubts His word and all who believe that He is indeed the RISEN SON OF GOD. 



Even Satan himself will face his final judgement as he faces the throne of God. He will be cast into the lake of fire, known as Hell, where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. He will not win and he knows he will not win. This knowledge is what drives him today to prowl like a lion seeking to kill and destroy all of us. His only victories can be here in a fallen world because when Jesus returns and claims His people, Satan will destroy no more as he himself will suffer the final judgement.



He will return to establish His Kingdom and all who know Him will be told,
"Enter my Good and Faithful Servant."


He will welcome us with nail scarred hands and open arms. He will do all that He has promised He will and in the end,
 every knee shall bow...


and every tongue confess...


that Jesus Christ is LORD!


Jesus is my Lord. He is my Savior. He is my King. Without Him I am but filthy rags but BECAUSE of Him, I am FORGIVEN. My sins are many in number and my debt would be great but for the forgiving sacrifice of His blood. Accept Him today, before it is too late. Knowing Him brings a peace that passes all understanding. It does not make life perfect and it does not mean there will be no trials. However, knowing Him does mean I am never alone and I can always depend on Him to lead me through every valley. His amazing grace and mercy is demonstrated through His forgiving love every single day of my life.

CHRIST the LORD is RISEN today!


No comments: