Several years ago, the most wonderful person and her family left our church. She had been doing our children's sermon for a long time. Her family accepted God's calling to be full time missionaries in Chile. I so admire the work they are doing. On their very last Sunday, her husband preached about obeying God's calling in your life. The Holy Spirit had been moving in my heart in this area for some time but I had fought it with all I had. Even her husband, when she had her 3rd baby, tried to get me to pick up this ministry for her "maternity leave" but I would not. He later told me that he knew I was the person God wanted to pick up this ministry when they left. I continued to run, deny, and ignore any prompting from the Lord in this area. I absolutely did NOT want to do the children's sermon in front of all those people. I justified my decision for a while by saying, " I already teach this and do that w/the kids and that should be enough!" I was terrified to even contemplate listening to this calling.
Then he preached the sermon...and I heard the calling, responded to it, and accepted it...and felt so scared all I could do was cry. That afternoon I came home and while Claudia napped (no Cooper around back then), I went to tell Chad why his wife had turned into one big squalling baby at church...and I proceded to tell him what had happended and how terrified I was and I said, "What if I cannot do this? I do not think I will be able to do this." and he responded by laughing. Yep, just laughed and then said, "well, I KNOW you can do it". I remember wondering how he could have so much confidence in me. That's just him, he always has confidence in me that I can do anything I want to do...I do not always have that same confidence in myself but boy do I love and appreciate him for believing in me and being my cheerleader!
Okay, long story short, the next Sunday, with totally trembling legs, I walked up there and gave the message that God put on my heart and I did not die of a heart attack! I'll never forget that message. I used the first birthday party invitation Claudia had ever gotten and I described to them the invitation God has for us through His son, Jesus. I've been doing it every Sunday since. I have missed a small number of Sundays mainly attributed to baby #2 or vacations. Other than that, I'm there, praying that God will always let Him be heard and that my message will always come directly from Him.
I have some precious memories from sitting up there w/my church kids. I announced to our church that I was pregnant right in the middle of my children's sermon on how we are fearfully and wonderfully made and how God knit us together in our mother's womb. I just casually stated that God was knitting together a new life in my womb and went right on talking. I will never ever forget all the gasps from the congregation or how my sweet friend and pastor's wife almost fell off the front pew! I have confessed to them my shortcomings and cried like a baby right there in front of them.
I have tried and still try with all my heart to teach them God's word and His will exactly the way I think He would teach them if they were gathered at His feet instead of mine. I can say for certain that I have rec'd a multitude of blessings from this ministry. After all these years, sometimes I still get nervous. God himself will have to lead me away from this ministry to get me to quit because I love those kids and I love knowing that I am doing exactly what God called me to do. There is so much satisfaction in being obedient. Why did I ever fight it? Why do we ever fight God's calling when we know His way is always the RIGHT way? I can only speak for me but in my life, God has shown me time and time again that He does not call the equipped, He equips the called! We just have to say YES!
1 comment:
absolutely awesome!!
Post a Comment