November 15, 2009

Funny how God speaks...

Sometimes it is so funny to me how God chooses to speak. It just goes to show that if we are not actively listening or looking for Him to speak, we just might miss it. Let me explain...Sunday morning, the normal rush of trying to make it to Sunday School. I am trying to leave my dressing area in a non-tornado-like state by throwing the blow dryer, flat iron, hairspray, toothpaste, etc. into drawers and cabinets and on my way out, I collect the few hangers that have collected on the doorknob so that I can stick them in the laundry room on my way out. I put them down to get dishes into the sink and get my purse. I pick them back up and head to the laundry room where I drop off a few items and then head outside. I get Cooper buckled in and climb in myself only to discover that the hangers are still in my hand. I tell Claudia that I forgot to leave them in the laundry room and I feel a wee bit (ok, a great bit) like I am going nuts trying to get us there. Claudia's response..."well mommy, maybe you are supposed to do a children's sermon about those hangers..." Ok, maybe so. God has certainly given me "object lessons" before with odd items so I leave them in the car and tell her maybe she is right. I already thought I knew the lesson I was supposed to give that morning but whatever...I am already very late. All through SS I keep thinking about those hangers and then it hits me. Boy was she right! God gave me a children's sermon to share that was perfectly demonstrated through those hangers. They were all different. I had a pants hanger, a shirt hanger, and a children's hanger in my hand. So what's the lesson...we are all created by God differently but with the same purpose. My hangers are all different but they have the same purpose. They were created to hang my clothes so that they are not in the floor. They all work best when used for the type clothes for which they were designed. So do we! We all do our BEST work when we are doing the work/job/ministry that God designed us for...not the one we think we are supposed to do. God created us and He wants us all to share His story of love, sacrifice, forgiveness, salvation, and eternal life with all we meet. There are many different ways to do that and many different jobs to be done so that His message is taken to all the world. We have to do the one that He created us for. For example, if I go to the youth building this Wed, youth will be one big flop and no one will be blessed because teaching youth is NOT my gift. If I go speak to the adults or lead the choir, again, one big flop because God did not intend for me to be with those groups. The kids, that is where He wants me. I can feel it when I see them soaking up all the words He speaks through me. That is where I am supposed to be. Please let this stand out to you, there is NO glory for Lyn in that statement. On my own, everything I do would be a big flop because I am so unworthy and so inadequate at making a difference for Him. The glory is all His because without Him, I'm just the broken hanger that drives you crazy on the bottom of your closet floor! Where are you supposed to be? Are you doing what God created you to do? Are you seeking His will for your life or are you doing what the world thinks you should be doing? It is never too late to make a change for Jesus! Jesus says "For I know the plans I have for you..." Isn't that cool! He has plans for us...the question is, are we seeking His plans or our plans?

No comments: