I had no plans on posting today until just seconds ago. I just had to put into words the awe that I felt in my heart as I was sitting her doing nothing on the computer. I am in the den alone, Chad is outside, Cooper is napping, and Claudia is in her room.
Suddenly I hear that sound, music to my ears... she is reading a book in her room. I hear sight words pop out of her mouth and the occasional stretching and sliding of putting sounds together to read new words. Claudia loves reading and has taken to it like a duck to water so to speak. I am so proud of her! Reading is her favorite part of the school day.
All year I have thought of her Kindergarten classroom as her own little cocoon. It hit me hard the other day that it is actually going to happen, she is actually going to leave Mrs. Smith's cocoon and move down to the 1st grade hall. That will be wonderful, we have awesome 1st grade teachers, but still... am I actually expected to handle this like a mature grown up? Not sure I can live up to that standard! I can so easily get caught up in the emotions of it and want to cry like a baby. And then I hear her read. She does it well. She uses the right tone, she is fluent, she enjoys it! That is when I realize that the cocoon is almost a thing of the past. Boy that makes this teacher PROUD and mostly very THANKFUL! I see too many kids struggle in school at what is coming so easily to Claudia. That is truly a gift sent straight from God and a blessing to be immensely thankful for!
I just had to remember the emotions I felt when I heard her reading down the hall. My sweet little reader...I hope she loves it and is as addicted to reading as her mommy has always been.
1 week ago