April 21, 2009

Forgetful Me

I seem to get more and more forgetful. I know it drives Chad crazy because he is so good to rarely forget things. I try very hard to remember all the things I need to remember but it does not always work out so well for me.

This morning I forgot something important. Something very important. I forgot to say thank you. I forgot to be thankful for the day God has made and has given to me as a precious gift. When I woke up, I was tired. Isn't that sad...to wake up tired instead of rested...and I'm not really sure why because I did go to bed before 10:30. I can only attribute it to the fact that one 3 year old was in my bed when I got there with his daddy, later came a 6 year old, and at least once I had to get up for the 3 year old. But I'm really not complaining about that because time is a thief and someday sooner than I wish, these days will be gone...

Ok, getting on with it... I'm walking Claudia to class and I tell her that I am tired. I even say, "Isn't it sad to be tired at the beginning of the day." I did not tell her I was thankful for her or that I was thankful that I get to walk her to school. I wish I could take that walk back this morning. If I could take it back I would remember to pray with her before she went into her classroom. I would tell her that we should rejoice and be glad in this day that our Lord has made. I would remind her and myself that we can never get today back so we need to use every minute to live it the way God wants us to so that we will not have any regrets.

Later I checked my email and two things brought me back to the cross. One was a memorial to a man who died recently. This man was diagnosed with MD at a young young age and was only expected to live to be about 15. He died at age 31. Attached to the email was a short essay about his life written by his teacher. This boy was a young student when I was in high school at the same school. This teacher was my cheerleader sponsor. Her essay made me remember all the things she referenced (at least the ones I was there for) and mostly made me think about the difference she made in his life...and mine. His life made me think of the zillion things I have to be thankful for in my own children. Fast forward a couple of hours...new email. Again, brought me back to the cross. This one AGAIN was from one of my teachers in high school. Again, a lady who changed many lives, especially mine! This is part of what her email said...


Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings. Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.

Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible. Thank you, Lord , that I can see. Many are blind.

Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising. Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.

Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are lost, toast is burned, tempers are short, and my children are so loud.

Thank you, Lord, for my family. There are many who are lonely.

Even though our breakfast table never looks like the picture in magazines and the menu is at times unbalanced

Thank you, Lord, for the food we have. There are many who are hungry.

Even though the routine of my job often is monotonous. Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job

Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest.

Thank you, Lord, for life


Wow! Now that hit home with me. I forgot to say thank you today...I'm so thankful God reminded me. I am especially thankful that He reminded me through two precious women who changed my life as a teen and still continue to change me and help me grow even as a woman. I can only pray that I will have that kind of impact on at least one of my students. They will never know how much I appreciate that as long as I have known them, they have always pointed me to the cross. I want my life to be a one way sign that points directly to Calvary every time someone looks my way.

I am so thankful for all that God has FORGIVEN and all that He has GIVEN!