February 17, 2010

A Lent Observing Baptist

Today is Ash Wednesday, typically the first day of Lent. Nope, I am not Catholic. I am a tried and true Southern Baptist. I know, I know, Baptist don't do Lent...yeah, yeah, yeah, and Southern Baptist don't raise their hands in worship either, right? Um, yeah, ok, well don't tell my hand-raising, Jesus-worshipping self that because I must be breaking all the Southern Baptist rules!

Here is why I observe Lent and why I would like to encourage you to join me. Several years ago, right before my first date with Chad, I was asked at the last minute to help chaperon a youth retreat with our local First United Methodist Church. I was literally asked on Friday morning to leave that afternoon. I had no plans and no reason to say no so I rushed home after work and packed my camping bags and hit the road. I had a great weekend but the best thing that I came away with was a new understanding of Lent. At first I kind of ignored the talk of what they were all doing for Lent because as we all know, Baptists don't do Lent! Then I got curious and I asked the pastor who was helping with the weekend to explain it to me. In "Lyn can understand terms" this is what he told me the whole observance of Lent is about...it is a time before the celebration of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection to "abstain", "deny", or "give up" something that is important to you. It can be anything...food, tv, Internet, anything that is a daily temptation for you. The reason you choose something important to you is so that you will be daily "tempted" or "reminded" of your sacrifice. You want to have a regular reminder so that you will be reminded OFTEN as you prepare for Easter of the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross for you. He gave up his LIFE for you so that you could have eternal life and forgiveness of your sins. He did that for you and me even though neither you nor I deserve it. That sacrifice of life is the greatest sacrifice He could have given. We need to be reminded constantly of that sacrifice so that we will be constantly thankful for our salvation.

I realized that I wanted to observe Lent because Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for me and Lent is a way that I can HONOR that sacrifice in my life. Let me tell you what, it is a GREAT conversation starter and a great way to share my faith. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten to respond to an offer by saying "No thanks, I'm giving that up for Lent" only to be told "I thought you were a Baptist." That is the perfect invitation to share about how Jesus sacrificed His life for me and this is a way I can sacrifice for Him.

Now if you are a Jesus lover like me and your name is written in the Lamb's book of life, why would you NOT want to observe Lent? I'm telling you, it will change you! You will be surprised how often between today and Easter you are reminded of what we are really celebrating. You will appreciate the reminder daily to thank Him for your salvation. Just go ahead and choose your sacrifice, pray and commit the sacrifice to Him, and get ready for Satan to tempt you to quit. Don't quit! Stick it out with me and you will be so blessed! Now, please either email me or leave me a comment and let me know what you are giving up! My sacrifice for this year is SWEETS. Oh how I love my sweets. I'm telling you right now, this will be one year I am really reminded of the sacrifice Jesus made for me. This morning in computer training my principal walked around and passed out snack size packs of cookies...let the temptation begin! My Jesus handled so much more than that just because He loves me and just because He loves you!

Oh how He loves you and me...Oh how He loves you and me...He gave His life, what MORE could He give?