June 15, 2009

"Mommy, It's BWOKEN!"

Ah, the pappy. Cooper loves his pappy. And it is bwoken. Granted, he did it...and yes, I told him not to...that rarely stops him with anything so why should his pappy be an exception? Cooper decided great big fun would be to pull on his pappy while it is between his teeth (one day Mr. Orthodontist, one day we will send one of your children to college) and make it POP! Well, pappies are not meant for 3 year old teeth so you can guess how long it lasted before it got a big ole' hole in it! One night at the beach, Cooper and I were in bed being still after getting ear drops and he pulls it out and says in a pitiful voice..."Mommy, it's bwoken!" Precious...tear worthy moments that I love to remember! Now, let me insert that in a way, I'm very ready to be rid of the pappy and I do love that now he only wants it to go to sleep and never asks for it during the day because..."it is bwoken". I am also not ready to be rid of the pappy because it means he is certainly a big boy and not a baby anymore. That brings up a flood of emotions that I may not be able to handle!



Chad has taught me this...let them be babies. Just do not worry about it. Time will take care of it. He is right. I have NEVER seen a child come to kindergarten sucking a pappy...not in my 14 years of teaching...a thumb, oh yes, seen many of those, but never a pappy. That is yet another reason I have forced both my babies to become attached to a pappy from the first day I held them in my arms. I know people think we are crazy. I can totally HEAR their disapproval when they say to him, never to us, "boy, give me that pappy, you are too old for a pappy"...or "you need to throw that pappy away"...or "you cannot talk with that pappy in your mouth"...yep, we've heard it all. Guess what, we do not care! We get to make the decisions because God blessed US with these angels and we totally love keeping them babies for as long as we can. At this point I have no idea if God has another baby in His plans for our family or not. I am not making those plans and neither is Chad. If God leads us that way, we will go joyfully...and maybe a little scared. If He does not, then we will forever be grateful for the two precious ones He has loaned us.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Lyn, I feel your pain. I am torn about our "pappy" as well. Griffin loves it so and he looks so darn cute with it....our dentist keeps us on his bad list! We are whittling away the 5 we have left and then it will be done. My debit card will never again be swiped for pappies..... Hang in there!