May 8, 2010

100 AR Points!

One of the things Claudia was most excited about when she started first grade was getting to earn Accelerated Reader (AR) points. Our school does a great job of rewarding our students for AR points. There are all kind of awards from water bottles to earning tickets for a chance to win a Nintendo DSI to serving as principal of the day. The kids love them all but the most coveted prize comes when you earn 100 AR points. That was the goal Claudia had in mind from the very first test she took. She wanted to go on the 100 point field trip. She easily earned her 100 points before Christmas, got her t-shirt, and started looking forward to
Alabama Adventure!
We had to be at school at 6:45 to load the bus. I expected Claudia to have a hard time getting up but she hopped right up with no complaints because she was so excited! I was very blessed to go as a teacher and take a group. I would have been very sad to have been at school while Claudia experienced her first AR field trip. We took about 42 kids and they were so wonderful. I was so proud of our kids! I took a few pictures of the group when we got there.




The back row is our 3rd graders who earned 100 points. The 2nd row is our 2nd graders. All of the kids kneeling are our 1st graders who earned 100 points. This year in AR, our first graders rocked! They exceeded the 2nd and 3rd grade in points all year and they earned the field trip to prove it! I was so proud of our 1st graders because they don't get to start AR on the first day of school like 2nd and 3rd grades so they really worked hard to get their points.

I had 7 students in my group. They were all in Claudia's class so she enjoyed being with her classmates. I also had 4 great parents to help so it was a pretty easy day...but it was HOT!
First stop...the swings!



Then the bumper cars...

Then the logs...

Here they come!

Not too wet, just a small splash!


We went to lunch and then rode several more rides. One of our little kiddos just couldn't handle the spinning after lunch so we had to take care of him. We found several more rides and then we really wanted to ride the big roller coaster but it broke down before we could get to it. Boy was I thankful it did not break down with us ON it! We found this little one with a tiny line so they were happy with it. They got to ride it two times in a row so that was fun.





Last ride of the day...The Scrambler! The kids were SAD to have to leave but the park was only open for schools and it closed at 2:00. They wanted to ride so much more but we just did not have time. They were all very hot, very tired, and it really was time to go. They were happy once they got to the bus and had a cold drink and snack.
It was a great field trip. One of their favorite things was getting to see our principal ride the rides and be a kid again. It is so amazing how much kids LOVE for adults to have fun with them. I figured they would all pass out on the bus but they have so much endurance...they were wild and crazy all the way home. We got home about 4:30 and we were all wiped out. It was such a great day! I can't wait until next year. I hope Claudia will work hard for her 100 points every year so she can be a part of this trip!

No comments: