May 25, 2010

A Southern Tradition

I L.O.V.E. the South and I love that I am part of a good ole' southern family who still carries on good ole' southern traditions. Perhaps other religions do this too, I really have no idea since I am a BORN AGAIN Southern Baptist and pretty much only know about Baptists, but one tradition of the Southern Baptists is to hold huge Homecomings or Memorial Day celebrations. Even if it is not called Memorial Day, it is still held in May. Some traditions that go along with those special Sundays are: an extra long service with some kind of special program or special singing or a guest preacher; some way to remember church members who have passed away in the past year; dinner on the grounds (or in the fellowship hall for some); new flowers on your loved ones' graves; and a visit to the cemetary to honor your loved ones.

This past Sunday, the kids and I went to the service at my home-church, Corinth Baptist. They call it "4th Sunday in May" and lo and behold, it is always held on...the 4th Sunday in May! My daddy was so happy we were coming! We went to church with them, stayed for lunch, and hung out at Daddy's house. I took Claudia and Cooper to the cemetary to show them my Grandmother's grave. I also showed them my cousin David's grave. David was one of my cousins that I was very close to as a child. David was killed when I was 17 and he was 18. It was a devestating blow for me and a death that was very difficult for me to learn to live with. I showed them my great grandfather's grave whose name was George Washington McLain...now how is that for originality in naming your children!







Claudia snapped a picture for us...and Cooper wanted to be there too!

While we were at PawPaw and Nana's house, we tried to enjoy being outside but it was so HOT! Claudia and Nana enjoyed the swing. Cooper and PawPaw took a ride to check on the garden.


When I was a little girl, these running roses ran all along the pasture fence. They were always so beautiful to me. That fence has been moved but some of the roses still run up this tree. I would love to have some of these somewhere in my backyard.
When PawPaw and Cooper got back, I went out to see them and this is what I found them doing. Daddy said that Cooper told him to sit over there so he could be "the baby". Of course PawPaw did exactly what Cooper asked him to do!


I love, love, love watching my Cooper walk holding hands with my Daddy!
Before Cooper would let PawPaw go in to rest, he wanted to try out the Pogo stick. Again, PawPaw went right along with what Cooper wanted.
Claudia got this picture just before we left.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oh Lyn love the pictures of Cooper with your Dad-memories for a lifetime