May 1, 2010

Callaway Gardens

On Friday I went to Callaway Gardens with Claudia's class. I was so happy to be there as a mommy and not as a teacher. She has a really good class so the management was a breeze! We got there a little late so it seemed like everything was rushed but we had the best day. We started at the Horticulture Center...
Mrs. Bailey had brought quarters to buy fish food for all the kids. They were so happy! The fish were huge but apparently not all that hungry!

After that stop, we went to the butterfly center. HUMIDITY is the best way to describe it! Whew...it was HOT! The butterflies were beautiful and the kids were so excited. One huge one landed on my shoulder twice but since my camera was around my neck, we did not get a picture.




It was difficult to get a shot off before the flew away but I got a few!


We had a very quick picnic lunch before we went to the Birds of Prey show. After the lady had given all the warnings about the predator birds, Claudia was basically ready to hit the road without seeing any birds! We were a little disappointed to only get to see a hawk and an owl. We had been to this once before and got to see a lot more. The big excitement was as we were leaving...some of the kids saw a snake curled up in the bushes RIGHT BEHIND where we had been sitting on the ground. I was ready to go after that!


Once the show was over, the field trip was basically over. I checked Claudia out and then the day totally changed for us. All of a sudden, we had a day together that was a precious gift from the Lord. It was only noon and we decided to stay in the gardens and explore. We had the most wonderful afternoon. We needed that time together just the two of us so badly. My sweet girl and I just don't get enough girl time! First, we went to explore the chapel. We went inside and sat on the front pew and had prayer together. It was such a precious time.




Right behind the chapel was a beautiful stream with a waterfall. We hiked around until we could get on the rocks for some pictures.


We went to Mr. Cason's Vegetable Garden next. Claudia found her new favorite flower there, Foxgloves. She thought they were so beautiful.
There were so many beautiful spots for pictures in the garden. I told Claudia I wished she were barefoot in one of her dresses because I could have taken some beautiful portrait worthy pictures in those settings!

We loved all of the beautiful flowers and we took time to read their names and discuss them...today we took time to "stop and smell the roses" and it was running over with blessings!


We went to the lake/beach. It was so deserted, as was most of the gardens. It was such a beautiful, peaceful day. Claudia wrote our names in the sand.




Lyn and Claudia...

Claudia on the beach
After we had explored Callaway, we went to have lunch at the Aspen Mountain Grill. We took silly pictures and had the best conversation. We took our time and enjoyed every minute together.





After lunch, we walked all around Pine Mountain and went in all the antique shops. Claudia likes to look at all the little things, just like me! We walked and walked and it was such a blessing for me to have so much time with her. She is such a sweet girl and has the sweetest disposition, just as she always has. I am so blessed that God chose me to be her mommy. This day with Claudia was a priceless gift directly from the Lord. I know that I will treasure the memory of this field trip all of my days.

No comments: