We got out of school on Tuesday afternoon and it was delightful! I had big plans to work in the house Tuesday night and all day Wednesday so it would be ready for the guests on Thanksgiving night. My MIL came and helped me on Wednesday, saint that she is, and that really helped whipped some things into shape! The kids were sweet and played well that was also a big help. Claudia spent some time with Juna while Cooper and I did the grocery shopping and rented some movies. That evening, we went to eat Japanese and look at Christmas decorations at Home Depot. Chad got the kids ready for bed and I hit the kitchen. God really spoke to my heart on Wed. as I cleaned and was unusually aware of all the "things" I have to clean. One time I was really convicted was when I was getting out my Christmas china to put in my china cabinet. I was taking out my Lenox Eternal and putting in my Holiday when I realized there would be people all over the world who would have no dishes from which to eat a feast on Thursday...and also no feast to eat. My plan had been to buy "nice" disposable plates. After looking at my collection of Lenox, and thinking of those needs, I could not buy disposable plates. We are so blessed to have such nice things, it just felt wrong to not use what God has allowed us to have. I got out my pretty china for us to use on Thanksgiving. I was so excited. Not because I was using the pretty stuff but because I was grateful that God helped me realize I need to USE and ENJOY the "things" He allows me to have rather than saving them for nothing.
Thursday morning I rose early, drank coffee, and spent a little time telling Him how thankful I am for my life and all that I have. We headed to my Granny's house for lunch. We were met there by a host of aunts, uncles, and cousins. I think I counted about 45 all together. It was so great to sit around and visit with my family. The kids had fun playing outside in the beautiful weather. The food was amazing and we left feeling very thankful and content. I am so appreciative that I have a large extended family and that we still get together. One memory I will cherish from that particular Thanksgiving was my daddy's blessing of the food. I will never forget that I was standing behind him as he prayed a prayer of Thanksgiving for his life and the healing God brought to him in August. He also lifted praise and thanks for his sister (who I call Granny) and the blessing of allowing us to have her one more year. Granny will be 88 in March. She is still fiercely independent and she still runs the show...and we wouldn't trade that for anything!
Here's a few photos from Granny's Thanksgiving:
Sisters...

Boy where we ever thankful to have our Daddy with us this year!

I really thought this swing would bite the dust. They were really getting up there with quite a load of precious boys and girls!
.JPG)
We headed home in the afternoon to get ready for more family, more fun, and yes, more food. We hosted Chad's mom's side of the family and my mom and sdad for dinner. We started having this at our house a few years ago so it would not be so much on Chad's mom. Even though I get in a tiz about wanting the house just so, I LOVE hostessing in our home. Here are a few pics from our special night:
Doris and Brooke...I am certain Doris was wishing I would have gone for the paper plates since she is the angel who washed all the good stuff! Bless you, Doris!!!
I chatted with my friend Angel later in the evening and let her talk me into a 4:45AM pick up for shopping at WalMart. I have never been much of a Black Friday shopper. As a teenager I spent one Black Friday following my mom and cousin around ALL DAY and that marked my attitude about Black Friday so I tend to just hang out at home and decorate for Christmas. I decided this year I'd give it a try. There were a couple of sale items I was interested in so I agreed to let her pick me up. Chad and I then proceeded to watch a movie and didn't get to sleep until around 12:30AM which really made me wish I could change my mind when the clock went off at 4AM! I rallied with a LOT of coffee and ended up being glad I went. We were home by 7:45 so it wasn't bad and I still got to spend the day decorating. Chad was off for the first time ever in our marriage on Friday so we were all home together. I loved that!
Claudia & Spencer had a ball playing in the box we store the tree in.
.JPG)
We got Claudia & Cooper's trees put in their rooms.


That afternoon, we got all geared up for the Iron Bowl. We didn't go in with much of a chance of winning this year but it is still a big game. Auburn surprised us and did really well but just couldn't pull it out in the end. I was really proud of them and as always...It's GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger at our house!
This is Cooper's football player face...
.JPG)
Claudia really got into the spirit and pulled out her Auburn jeans. She also put Spencer's jersey on and got us all shakers.
.JPG)

On Saturday, we got to have another family lunch at our house. Chad's cousin, Farrah, and her family were not able to come on Thursday so we had them down on Saturday. I have always loved her since the first time I met her. She and I just hit it off instantly and it is so fun when they get to come for a visit.
This is Farrah with her aunts, June, Carolyn, and Doris and Uncle Fred. They were all so happy to spend time with her.
.JPG)
1st Cousins...I often hear Mrs. June say that Chad reminds her of her late-brother, Ray, who was Farrah's dad.
.JPG)
Cooper & Banks acted like they play together everyday. They had so much fun!
.JPG)
I was a little sad to see Sunday come because it marked the end of so much great family time. The older I get and the older they get, the more I realize how precious and priceless our family time is. They both looked so nice for church Sunday morning and they even let me get a few pictures in front of the tree before we left.
I would think I had it all spaced correctly, I would lose pictures. So frustrating! I almost just said "forget it" but I really wanted a record of what was a very special Thanksgiving Break to me so I stuck with it. I hope to go back in later and make the pictures larger but for now, I'm just thankful to have a new post!
No comments:
Post a Comment