If you are Southern, you just have to know how to make a good ole' melt in your mouth pan of cornbread. If you are unable to do so, you must learn how now. I do not profess to be a great cook. I really do enjoy cooking but I don't have a ton of confidence in my ability to wow anyone with my delicacies. One thing I am good at cooking is cornbread. Just look as this round, golden plate of heaven just waiting to be cut and buttered!
You will find lots of different opinions on how to get your cornbread just right without half of it sticking to the pan when you try to flip it out. Here is my full-proof way. First, I am sad to say that this baby was not cooked to perfection in a black-iron skillet. That is very anti-southern, I know! In my defense, the only GOOD iron skillet I have was passed to me from my MawMaw when I left for Auburn and it is just a tad small for cornbread. So, get ready to gasp, I use a cake layer pan. Yep, that is it. It will work every single time! Gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and mix up something yummy tonight!
Here's the recipe for yummy cornbread that will melt in your mouth!
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray pan with a lot of nonstick spray. I use the butter flavored spray. In one bowl, beat one egg and add 1 1/3 cup milk. I have no preference between sweet milk and buttermilk. If I had buttermilk, I would use it first but since I never have it, I use sweet milk. Mix with 2 cups self-rising corn meal. Stir well and make sure you have no lumps. I add the oil last. If you work the oil too much, it will make the bread tough so make sure everything else is mixed together well before you add the oil. Speaking of the oil, I prefer canola oil and you use 1/4 cup. I also sprinkle in about 1 tsp. (but I don't measure it) sugar and a little black pepper. Just before the top gets golden brown, I take it out and spray the top with Parkay butter spray. I'd say it takes about 25 minutes but it will vary so watch it carefully! Pop it back in and let it get golden brown. WAAA LAAA, you are now a bona fide Southern Belle...well, maybe not a Belle but most certainly a Southerner! Now all you need is a big ole' pot o' greens and pepper sauce to go with it!
1 week ago
1 comment:
Oh forget the greens just give me a stick of butter and a knife!! I would be one happy woman looks yummy :-)
Post a Comment