January 23, 2010

New to me...

I confess, I have never read the Bible from cover to cover. I have thought about how I need to but just never have. Since I have never done that, sometimes I come across scripture that I have literally never read before. This Psalm is new to me (although I really did think I had read them all) and maybe I have read it before and it just did not speak to me the way it recently has.

It is a part of the 45th Psalm. These verses are special to me...

v. 10 Listen, O daughter, consider and give ear;

Forget your people and your father's house.

The king is enthralled by your beauty;

honor him, for he is your Lord.


I just love that! I know it is not speaking of outer beauty but instead, the beauty of my heart. I also know that God is not enthralled with my beauty when my heart has unrepented sin. It is a precious reminder to me that I need to guard my heart and keep it pure and sinless because that is how I honor Him because He is MY LORD and I want Him to be ENTHRALLED with me! He is the lover of my soul, I want the beauty of my heart to be lovely to Him. It can only be that way through Him and with Him because without Him, it is dark and full of sin. Without the blood of Jesus Christ and the forgiveness of my sins that came only through His birth, death, burial, & resurrection, without all of that, there would be nothing lovely and nothing beautiful about my heart. It is difficult for me to imagine that God sees beauty when He looks in my heart but I know that He does because His word tells me He does and His word is the ONE TRUTH on which I can always depend.
Claudia and I have been talking about this verse at bedtime. It is so important to me that she have a head and heart knowledge of just how important it is that we be more concerned with our inner beauty than our outward appearance. At the same time, I want her to understand that we honor God when we take care of ourselves and one way we do that is by taking pride in our appearance. I'm so thankful that God led me to this scripture to give me something to share with her that would be special to both of us. I'm so thankful that He reminded me that He is enthralled with me.

No comments: