And since to school we must go,
I was sleeping so soundly…and then I awoke to Cooper calling out with delight in his voice, “Mommy, it’s snowing!” I was so happy. I rushed to the window and was not disappointed, it was indeed snowing. I turned back and saw his lovely smile so full of joy over the beautiful white as it drifted from the heavens and flew through the air. Immediately I began to think of a snow day and how we would wrap up and play and have so much fun together. You can imagine my surprise when I was again startled to hear an unusual noise…what was that noise…I was looking around trying to find out what was interrupting Cooper and I as we celebrated the snow and then Chad interrupted my thoughts and said…”Lyn, it is 5:00”.
Mmmm, hmmm, you guessed it, I was dreaming…and oh what a dream it was. So beautiful and white and peaceful and then beep – beep – beep, wake up sleepy head! As I woke up, I briefly thought, “maybe it wasn’t a dream, maybe it really did snow…” so I went and peeked through the blinds. I saw ice on the pool cover and frost on the ground, but no snow. Sadly, there was no snow. I made yummy coffee and bundled up in my robe and tried to figure out how I would ever survive if I lived north of the Mason Dixon line because these few days of frigid temps have been tough on me. When Chad got up he asked me if I had heard Cooper say that so apparently I didn’t dream that he said “Mommy, it’s snowing!” Apparently I just worked his little announcement into my dream… apparently he was dreaming…and he was a bit disappointed when he awoke and found out it had not snowed. Last night he made this announcement: “Mommy, today at Sissys it telled that its gonna snow at Friday!” Claudia is on board with wishing for snow as well. We all want snow…although I don’t really want to miss a day of school for snow because I do not want to give up a day of spring break to make it up!
This is my favorite “I didn’t get to play in the snow” memory… When I was a little girl, it seemed like we always got at least one day off each winter for snow. Where I grew up there was a lot of pasture and woods. It was beautiful in the snow. I would be so excited and my daddy would hitch up his mule and pull us in the wagon or he’d make a makeshift sled and pull it behind the horse. It was so fun! So one year my mom comes in my room and tells me we don’t have school because it had snowed overnight. I was so excited. I threw off the covers and saw all these red bumps on my legs. I thought, “If she sees this, she will not let me play outside” so with all my childhood wisdom, I decided to get dressed before I went to breakfast so she’d never see the bumps. I got my clothes on and went into the bathroom and when I looked in the mirror I discovered that the bumps were all over my face as well…and my scalp, and my arms, and my tummy, and my ears, and everywhere that I had skin…because I had CHICKEN POX! Great, just great! While all my cousins and my sister played outside and had the time of their lives in the snow, I was stuck inside itching like crazy! To make it all worse, I got well just in time to go back to school…right about the time several of those stinkers caught the Pox and got to miss school! Boy did I think life was unfair then!
My daddy and I got a big laugh out of that this morning as we chatted on my way to work. He is hoping it will not snow but I reminded him of how excited I used to be and how excited all the kids would be so that helped him remember that the mess is worth the joy. Of course, if I lived in snow all winter and had to conduct life as usual in spite of the snow, I am sure I'd have a totally different attitude! I like living where life shuts down for snow and all you do is play...and go buy bread and milk!
No comments:
Post a Comment